Sunday, March 29, 2009

Journal 8: Screencasting - NETS - 3, 4, 5



For my web tool I chose screencasting because I have never heard the term before. Screencasting is basically a video recording of a computer's screen output. In other words the computer screen is filmed usually with an audio narration of what is happening on the computer screen. Screencasting is a great way to develop tutorials for various web programs, web site navigation, or any other internet instruction. I viewed several screencasts through Web 2.0, which included directions on how to design your own website and lessons on why musicians love old school rock. Screencasting could be used as a great tool for the classroom at any age. As a teacher I could use a screencast to teach my students how to use programs like photoshop, excel, word, or any number of other programs. Tutorials through screencasting enable the students to follow along on their own computers while they see what they see on their own screens. The audio aids the audio learners, while the viewing of the screen helps the visual students. There are several different types of programs that can be used in developing a screencast which include: Windows Media Encoder, Wink, Snapz Pro X, IshowU, and many more. After learning about screencasting I will definitely look for tutorials on how to use different programs through the utilization of screencasting.

In this assignment I researched Web 2.0 tool Screencasting to discover it is a great tool for collaborating with students and peers. You can use screencasting to explain an assignment, give directions, or provide a step by step process.

2 comments:

  1. I'd never heard of it before, either, before reading your post. A very interesting, and useful tool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Screencasting is new to me as well, but it sounds really interesting!

    ReplyDelete